TOC-IRL

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistLog inRegister

Share | 

NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Glanzadude
Elite Member

Male Posts : 2945

PostSubject: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Ok lads I failed the test 2nd time to night. After I failed the first time i replaced the two handbrake cables going to the caliper and i changed the pads and cleaned the discs.I seen before the test when i was tighten up the handbrake i rang out off thread so that might be it.I will rebuild the calpers again as i only did them last year and i will get a new cable from the hand brake to so all 3 cables will be new. is there anything i am missing lads?

This is from first test 

And this is from the 2nd test today

any ideas lads 

Thanks

Last edited by Glanzadude on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokey

Male Posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:17 pm

You shouldn't need to tighten the cable at the handbrake!
Leave it loose and jack up the levers on the calipers till they bite against the pads then take up any slack that might be at the handbrake!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DjNr8

Male Posts : 18029

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:14 pm

You should only do minor adjustments at the handbrake. adjust it at the rear hub/discs

View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:23 pm

DjNr8 wrote:
You should only do minor adjustments at the handbrake. adjust it at the rear hub/discs

just the way Smokey said is it yea?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DjNr8

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:30 pm

yep

View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:57 am

i will give that a go then thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
5e colin

Male Posts : 7890

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:03 am

also it might be a good idea to pull back the levers fully on the caliper i have come across that they didnt fully go back then blead the brakes and then do the cables it should work
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:09 pm

ok will be working on the car over the weekend so will update this than
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:27 pm

Ok lads I was working on the glanza there. when i drive the car up the drive way 5kms and pull the handbrake the passenger side skids locks up but the drivers side still moves.when i jack up the rear wheels and have handbrake on full i cannt move both sides will that pass nct?

The more i tighten the handbrake cable in the car the worse the drivers wheel gets scratch scratch  

I had a look at the equaliser and it looks good and straight do i have to do adjustment to that?

adjusted the piston on the caliper by hand by moving the piston in with the lever for the handbrake cable with a flathead screwdriver is this right? The handbrake cables were disconnected at the time. 

lads any help please
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bunglebear1984

Male Posts : 2068

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:01 pm

iam having the same problem with my v lad didnt realise there was adjudtment at caliper end i put it down to a faulty caliper id say i have new cables on mine and adjusted it to last on cables and still pulls more on drivers side to pass one ill be getting onto foggy for caliper ad seat belt for test now head gasket is sorted
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foggy
Elite Member

Male Posts : 14122

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:44 pm

Did you try the adjustment under the floor there the two cables meet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:13 am

Foggy wrote:
Did you try the adjustment under the floor there the two cables meet
The equaliser shane were the 3 cables meet? yes thats straight but i might try and a adjust that allso as my gt was all to one side last year scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaveJ

Male Posts : 732

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:37 am

your caliper might not be 100% might it could just be the handbake mechanism on it not right
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mossie477

Male Posts : 1197

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:55 am

just failed mine on rear brakes .. ordered caliper rebuild kit from toyota coz i know my calipers aint 100%
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:51 pm

I will be working on it on sunday and nct then so i hope it will pass
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaveJ

Male Posts : 732

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:53 pm

you should bring it to a garage that has a brake tester before you bring it for an nct to be sure its 100% i know it might cost more but you will be sure going to the nct save having to bring it back to the nct again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HiGGYep91
Elite Member

Male Posts : 4232

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:52 pm

The handbrake in my cam doesn't even hold the car and it passed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:23 pm

It has to be the  equaliser that is off 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corolla02

Male Posts : 2898

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Equaliser would only effect foot brake
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:50 pm

ok lads i think i tightened the handbrake cable in the car to much. i will let it off a good bit and should be fine then as i was thinking the handbrake can only be max 5-7 clicks but i tested 5 cars at work + my accord and it is 10 clicks scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
owly.11859
Elite Member

Male Posts : 4569

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:51 pm

I test mine by putting a pry bar between the wheel studs and pull the handbrake one you cant budge with side there grand never failed me. If both are not locking up solid it will prob keep failing and imbalance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Passed the nct today so can be locked  party party party party
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DjNr8

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Good stuff dude Smile

I'll leave it open though just in case people have similar trouble and need to know how to adjust it

View user profile
5e colin

Male Posts : 7890

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Glanzadude wrote:
Passed the nct today so can be locked  party party party party

what fixed it in the end ????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glanzadude
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:57 pm

I had the handbrake to tight so just let it off a bit and was fine then
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))    

Back to top Go down

NCT Parking brake effort (((PASSED THE NCT TODAY)))
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1